That's right--there's a new graphic on this page because I finally got the video iPod I've been whining about since they were released last summer. Although I haven't downloaded any TV shows yet (plan to try that tonight), it's pretty bitchin. The difference in size between this one and my first generation iPod--both physically and between what it can hold--is amazing.
There's no particular significance to this playlist. It's a lot of songs I've downloaded recently--most notably "Better Off This Way" by We Are The Fury; "Dilaudid" by the Mountain Goats; "Modern Text on Love" by the Weather Machines; and "Ultraviolet" by McFly.
And to round that out there are older songs: Blondie's "One Way or Another," PJ Proby's original "Hold Me," Buffy Sainte-Marie's "Guess Who I Saw in Paris" (Shut up), and the always excellent 1910 Fruitgum company with "May I Take a Giant Step." Which I seem to remember may have been the first stereo 45, but I'm not sure. Maybe it was just the first one I owned.
- Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
If I had to pick only one Led Zeppelin song that was my fave, I think this'd have to be it.
- I Just Wanna Be Loved - A.M. Radio
I know nothing about this band, except that I like this song a lot.
- Better Off This Way - We Are The Fury
Ditto the above, but I really like the cover of the single. Glam may finally be making a comeback afterall.
- Love Song - Shiela Nicholls
This is the only cover I've ever heard of Elton John's "Love Song," and it's pretty good. Thank you "Smallville."
- One Way or Another - Blondie
- Push the Button -- The Sugababes
I don't know why these girls aren't more popular in the U.S.
- Burn the Witch (UNKLE Remix) -- Queens of the Stone Age
Kind of amazing how a remix can totally change what you think of a particular song.
- Cash Machine - Hard Fi
My favorite line is the one about how his girlfriend is pregnant so he's about to go on the run. Nice.
- I Am the DJ -- David Bowie
- Modern Text on Love - The Weather Machines
See note in #3 about Glam not being dead.
- Dilaudid - The Mountain Goats
- It's Good to Be in Love -- Frou Frou
- Guess Who I Saw in Paris? - Buffy Sainte-Marie
There are only a few Buffy Sainte-Marie songs I've ever been able to tolerate, and two of them are from her "Illuminations" album. This is one of those.
- Is That All There Is? - PJ Harvey
How do you make a song that's basically deranged totally over the top? Have PJ Harvey cover it.
- You Don't Love Me - The Kooks
More Brit pop.
- Lottery Winners on Acid - Crimea
The best song title I've seen in a LONG time.
- Here's the Good News - Paul Weller
Who knew he was still doing music and hadn't started an accounting firm?
- Ultraviolet - McFly
Yes, they're a British boy band, but this is a really good song.
- Muscle Car - Mylo
- Look on the Floor (Angel City Remix) - Bananarama
Only two of them came back, from what I've heard they're just as good now as they ever were.
- Last Train to a Love Machine - The Monkees vs. Girls Aloud
Possibly my favorite mashup ever.
- Call My Name - Charlotte Church
- Perfection - Dannii Minogue ft. Soul Seekers
After hearing a lot of her stuff, I really don't know why they referred to her as "poor little Dannii Minogue" on Ab Fab. She puts out great dance songs.
- I Said Never Again - Rachel Stevens
If I didn't know better, I'd swear this song had been produced by Chinn & Chapman and recorded in 1972.
- May I Take a Giant Step - 1910 Fruitgum Company
- Behind These Hazel Eyes - Kelly Clarkson
- Nth Degree -- Morningwood
Very catchy self promotion.
- Rip Her to Shreds - Boomkat
I'm not crazy about the Boomkat girl since I think she's kind of skanky, but their version of this song kicks ass.
- Because I Want You - Placebo
- Hold Me - PJ Proby
The rhythm guitar totally makes this song.
- No Goodbyes -- The Subways
- Everybody's Tryin to Be My Baby - The Beatles
Yeah, I wish.
- Stop Crying Your Heart Out - Oasis
- Damaged People - Depeche Mode
My favorite song from the new Depeche Mode CD.
- Diamonds Are Forever - Kanye West ft. Jay-Z
Who knew "rap" had any kind of a conscience, social or otherwise?
- Kiss My Love Goodbye - Betty LaVette
- Black Horse & The Cherry Tree - KT Tunstall
Like the Sugababes, I have no idea why KT Tunstall isn't more popular here in America.
- I Like Girls - Hound Dog
Yeah, it's a novelty but it's fun.
- Sunshine in a Bag - Gorillaz
- Let's Dance - Chris Montez
This in "Animal House" is one of the best uses of a song in a movie ever.