I usually feel some pressure when creating the first playlist of the new year--even though there IS no pressure, since it's not like my iPod playlists have huge traffic or anything. Not that I care, since I'll still keep doing them and listening to them. I figure if people don't go to this page, it's their loss.
Also, this first playlist of 2003 has a definite theme. I think it's fairly obvious, but I'm probably biased since I know what said theme is. And because I'm the one who put together the playlist.
Nothing's downloadable this time. I've checked the stats and so few people are doing this, it's not worth the time it takes me to zip and then uplaod the files. Wanna hear some of the songs? Or even better, the whole mix on an audio CD? See the two instructional paragraphs at the bottom of the page.
- Disease -- Matchbox 20
I don't care what anyone thinks; I love Rob Thomas. On some VH1 show they interviewed a bunch of guys who worked in record stores about this CD, and they all said it was horrible, because it was totally commercial. You know what? When those losers are actually in a band, maybe I'd care about their opinion. All commercial means is a song sells and therefore people hear it--isn't that the point?
- Only Thing That Looks Good On Me Is You -- Bryan Adams
- Behind The Wall of Sleep -- Smithereens
I had forgotten how much I liked this song until this incredibly bitchin girl I really like quoted it to me in an e-mail. Now I listen to it all the time cause it reminds me of her.
- Supernova -- Liz Phair
Ditto the above. I'm actually the one who quoted this song in an e-mail, but I listen to it because it totally describes the aforementioned bitchin' girl.
- You Ought To Be With Me -- Al Green
- Melody Calls -- The Doves
- Anything But Ordinary -- Avril Lavigne
I think the choices for where Avril goes from here are: she'll be a one-CD wonder and vanish, or just keep turning out more CDs but these will suck, or--and this is what I really think--she's going to grow up, get even more talented, and be the Carole King of her generation.
- Heads Are Gonna Roll -- Rocket from the Crypt
- She's Telling Lies (Bryce's Mix) -- Apples in Stereo
Classic line: "She's a little girlie, works at Dairy Queen. She's talkin to the kids when they get ice cream." Now THAT'S rock and roll at its finest.
- Up in Flames -- The Flaming Sideburns
- Can't Get You Out of My Flawless -- Kylie vs. The Ones
- Atomic (Xenomania Remix) -- Blondie
This is such an incredibly cool song it's not even funny. And I believe it's one of Stephen's favorites.
- Is You Or Ain't You My Baby (Rae & Christian Remix) -- Dinah Washington
- Ain't Misbehavin'
This is from Ken Burns' "Jazz" series, but I have no idea who it actually is since I downloaded it. For free--hey, NARA, come and get me, I dare you.
- L'Italiano (DJ Serg Remix) -- Angelo Venuto
Sorry, I had to.
- Blondes With Lobotomy Eyes -- Thrill Kill Kult
Blonde myself or not, I love this song because it makes me think of a girl I can't believe I was ever remotely interested in.
- Love on the Rocks -- Jonathan Davis/Korn
"First they say they want you, say they really need you." Yeah, she said that. Crap; this just sucks.
- Rock-A-Hula Baby -- Pop Will Eat Itself
I usually don't like that many covers of Elvis songs, but this one IS better than the original.
- Rock Me Tonight -- Billy Squier
- I Only Wanna Be With You -- Dusty Springfield
- I'm Gonna Getcha -- Shania Twain
You can make all the fun of Shania you want--she's laughing all the way to the bank, and this song rocks.
- My Heart Stood Still -- The Mamas & Papas
- Hold Me -- Charlie Sexton
I do still really like the original PJ Proby version of this song, but this one is really different. And I like it too.
- Girl U Want -- Soundgarden
Yeah, it's a cover of the Devo song.
- Stand In Your Line -- Fluf
- Please -- Apples in Stereo
I know they'll never be famous, but I love this band.
- Signed, Sealed, Delivered -- Stevie Wonder
- When I Fall in Love -- Rick Astley
I'm sorry, I like this version better than the original by Nat King Cole--not that there's really all that much difference.
- Winchester Cathedral -- New Vaudeville Band
No, I don't know what possessed me to put this song in here.
- Hands of Death -- Alice Cooper / Rob Zombie
Do you think kids actually ring Rob Zombie's doorbell on Halloween? Cause I don't think they do.
- For You -- Nerfherder
I WOULD rollerblade with Corey Feldman for you. . .
- Because You're So Sweet -- Erasure
- If I Could Have Her Tonight -- Neil Young
An excellent song from Neil Young's first album.
- Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow -- Carole King
- Come On, Come On -- Cheap Trick
I think "In Color" is their best record.
- When I Get Home -- The Beatles
One of the most underrated Beatles' songs ever.
- Phantom of the Opera -- Blink 182
- >Love in an Elevator -- Aerosmith
- Time Won't Let Me -- Smithereens
- In Your Eyes (Power Production Remix) -- Kylie
- Baby, It's You -- Smith
Ain't THAT the truth